Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chapter 1: Teaching Mathematics in the 21st Century

Lets start by saying I'm not a fan of Maths and I really hope there wont be a maths test at the end of this! :)

Maths can be a tough nut to crack and it obviously has not been a plesent experience for me but while reading, I realise there are many ways that teachers can make learning maths an interesting activity for young children. In page 7 of the text, it talks about the necessary to allow children to develop a mathematical understanding. It is how the teacher designs the enirvonment, engages the children, assessing them and more. This chapter also talks about how teachers can prepare themselves to teach maths. I find this very important as if the teacher is not confident and clear about what she is going to be doing than the students may have a hard time trying to understand her. And it is especially important for teachers like me who has not interest in maths.

Being persistence and having a good attitude does help in making the process easier for the teacher and her children. This brings me back to the times when I was still in school and how the teachers would bark at us impatiently when we get the answers wrong. It brings up the teacher's frustration and bring down the child's confidence and self esteem. I think it is essential for a teacher to reflect on her lesson to see what she can improve to make her lesson fun and stress free for both herself and her children.

The Five Content Standards sounds familiar to me as it was taught in Secondary school but i often wonder what and where I would use these formulas with? I am still doubtful on how algebra can hep me in life since i have completely forgotten about it since Secondary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment